Have you ever packed a banana for travel only to find it bruised and mushy when you go to eat it? I had just about given up on counting on my favorite go-to fruit forever while traveling – until now! I discovered a very cool trick to guarantee that my bananas will always be in eating shape when I arrive at my destination. Yes, you can even pack it in your checked luggage and it will arrive in perfect condition.
No, it is not magic and does not involve time travel. It involves something most people have at home somewhere, stuffed in a closet, box or drawer in case needed when sending a package. We usually have a lifetime supply of it and move it from place to place as it accumulates and occupies more and more space. Well, here is a fantastic use for it. I know, we plant-based people get excited about the silliest things don’t we? By now I am sure you have guessed it. Bubble wrap – the best thing since sliced bread! I may be exaggerating just a bit because I can suddenly think of a lot of other really cool things that have been discovered since sliced bread but stay with me here.
- First step is to pull out a sheet of bubble wrap and lay it on a flat surface
- Next take your banana or bananas and lay them on top of the bubble wrap sheet
- If you have more than one banana separate them so that they are not lying on top of one another – you want to avoid them bruising one another
- Now take the ends of the bubble wrap and fold them over the bananas like you were packing a delicate antique tea cup you inherited from your Grandma, Mee Maw, or Nana.
- Secure with a little bit of packing tape just to be sure
- Place in your bag to be checked or your carry on
- Pack your clothes around it or under it or to the side. I have even been successful with them packed on top!
- Upon arrival – presto! Unwrap and observe the miracle of banana travel! Enjoy!